Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Home Renovations Update III

I thought I’d take a break from the “Investing Based on Demographics” theme for a day to give a quick update on my home renovations (as a couple of people have emailed me wondering how they're progressing). Basically, I haven’t really done much since my last update in July. However, this weekend I primed and applied the first two coats of melamine paint to our outdated kitchen cabinet doors. Three more coats will result in us having updated, new looking kitchen cabinets. The total cost for this project will be:

Melamine Paint: $80
New Hardware: $110 (estimate)

By simply painting our existing cabinets I’ve essentially saved 1 to 2 thousand dollars, as that’s what it would cost to replace the kitchen cabinet doors with brand new ones. As I’ve already spent $880 on home updates this will bring my total spent to $1070 leaving me $930 to spend on the remaining fix ups.