Friday, November 2, 2007

Retirement Nest Egg at the Close of Oct 31, 2007

-down 1% from last month
-up 7.6% in 2007
-CDN 69%
-U.S. 27%
-International 4%

TRP - 4.52%
CSH.UN - 5.08%
GWO - 5.23%
PFE - 3.49%
POW - 4.55%
BA.UN - 0.41%
WAG - 3.52%
L - 3.69%
UNS - 2.88%
GZ - 2.41%
TD - 13.9%
EIT.UN - 2.75%
JNJ - 5.49%
MMM - 3.68%
ATD.B - 3.83%
O'Shaughnessy’s Global - 3.97%
American Growth Fund - 0.96%
CDN Value Fund - 3.74%
Small Cap Growth Fund - 4.4%
Chou Associates Fund - 10.15%
Money Market Fund - 11.37%

No huge changes from last month. I initiated a position in WAG and unloaded ZED for a loss which I’ll talk about more on Monday. The decrease in my portfolio is largely due to the weakness of the US dollar. I’ll also start including the amount of Canadian, American and International exposure that I have for each network update. I’m currently sitting with about 11% of my portfolio in cash and am watching quite a few stocks but am closely watching C,BAC, TOC, IIC, BMO, WMT as well as opportunities to add to my existing positions on weakness.

8 comments:

Warren said...

I have also been looking at Citigroup. The stock has been taking a huge beating ($37 and change now). They are in some emergency meetings this weekend, word is the CEO is getting sacked. When this news come on Monday I expect it might drop a few more dollars, but as a value dividend investor the stock keeps looking better.

What are your thoughts on them dropping the dividend? The yield at current prices is 5.7%.

MG (moneygardener) said...

I always look forward to your net egg updates MCM...

Regarding C, - If the CEO is actually getting sacked, I would expect the stock to rise temporarily.

I actually bought some BAC on Friday.

MG (moneygardener) said...

MCM,

Do you ever add funds to this portfolio. I notice your 7.5% gain so far this year.

I am interested what you are doing with your savings, if you are not adding funds to this nest egg.

Anonymous said...

Warren,
I haven’t reviewed Citis latest earnings or taken an in depth look at the comments made by the analyst from CIBC who suggested that the dividend may be cut but I’d be surprised if they cut the dividend (if they did it would probably create a once in a lifetime buying opportunity though). If C does drop a few dollars on Monday I'll probably be a buyer.

MG,
Good buy. I think BAC & C are starting to look really attractive.

I do plan on adding funds to the portfolio however this year has been a unique year financially for me (I added a very small amount at the beginning of the year). However, almost all of the money that would have been added to my nestegg was used to purchase our second property as a 35% downpayment was required (not a primary residence). Additionally, we had a baby earlier in the year so my wifes income is reduced for much of the year. I will probably be adding a small amount to the portfolio in RSP season. Although my RSP contribution will be small as both my wife and myself are enrolled in defined benefit plans at work (which are not included in the nest egg - I pretend we arent' going to collect a penny from them.)

telly said...

I agree with mg. A few weeks back there were rumours of Prince "retiring" and the stock price rose temporarily but dropped again once it appeared that there was no substance to the rumour.

I bought C a couple weeks back at $44 so I obviously think it's a steal at it's current price.

Warren said...

C seems like a prime candidate to hold within an RRSP. Forgive my stupid question, but how would I go about adding this to my RBC RRSPs?

I've never held any individual stocks within an RRSP, as most have been Canadian dividend stocks, with good tax breaks as is.

Middle Class Millionaire said...

Warren,

I’m not sure what kind of account you have with RBC however, in order to add individual stocks you have to setup a self-directed RSP. Once that account is setup you’ll be able to add C to your RSP by simply buying it the same way you would a stock outside of your RSP. Does this help?

QUALITY STOCKS UNDER 5 DOLLARS said...

Excellent post