Thursday, December 13, 2007

Building a Recession Resistant Portfolio

As promised in my last post “Recession Proof your Portfolio” here is a list of securities that you can use as a starting point to research your own recession resistant portfolio. Please feel free to add any other picks you feel I’ve missed in the comments section and I’ll post a compiled list.

Sin Stocks
CDL.A - TSX
MO - NYSE
ROC- TSX
BUD - NYSE
DEO - NYSE
UTX - NYSE
BA - NYSE
BTI - AMEX
ITY - NYSE
RAI - NYSE
CG - NYSE
TAP.A - TSX

Health Care
JNJ - NYSE
CL - NYSE
WAG - NYSE
TEVA - NASDAQ
PFE - NYSE
BAX - NYSE
CLC.UN - TSX
SC – TSX
MRK - NYSE
CVS - NYSE
GSK - NYSE
SGP - NYSE
GILD- NASDAQ

Utilities
TRP - TSX
ENB - TSX
EP.UN - TSX
FCE.UN – TSX
EMA - TSK
CU – TSX
MPT.UN – TSX
APF.UN – TSX
ACO.X – TSX
MPT.UN – TSX

In my next post I will list a few mutual fund and Exchange Traded Funds that would be appropriate for a recession proof portfolio.

(Disclaimer: As always please do your own research and make your own decisions on which investments on when to buy or sell. Nothing I say should be bastardized or construed in any way to be advice.)

5 comments:

Thicken My Wallet said...

I would add Fortis to utilities too. Good list!

MG (moneygardener) said...

Could you explaine the basis behind UTX.

I would add:

PG
KO
IPL.UN
PIF.UN
T-NY
T.A-Toronto
RCI.B
THI-Toronto
L - Toronto
PEP-NY
CLX-NY
SLF
MFC
GWO

Anonymous said...

Hey MG,

Thanks for the additions.

The rational behind UTX is that they are a huge player in the aerospace and defense industry (Named "Most Admired" aerospace and defense company (2001-2006 lists, Fortune)).

cash advance california said...

Great portfolio. This will lead to good details of preventing money crisis in our life.

QUALITY STOCKS UNDER 5 DOLLARS said...

Excellent post